Have you ever looked at a picture and envisioned yourself in that place, being that person? Certain images capture our attention and speak to us more than a million words ever could. But how do you get that effect? How can my images speak? I’m going to give you a few tips that I’ve learned along the way that have allowed me to immerse myself in my pictures.
Tips to Creating Thoughtful Images
1. Set up a face to face meeting with your client or model. This will allow you to explore their world. What they like, what they want, what visions you share.
2. Lay out all of your ideas. Create an inspirational album where you can reference your poses, wardrobe options, make up ideas, etc.
3. Scout for the perfect location based on what you would like to create. This will be one of the most important factors that will contribute to the final outcome. My mind does this all the time! I think I sleep and dream of locations! The most unexpected places create the most amazing backgrounds.
4. Get out and shoot!! Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Connect with your model, make them feel free but guide them when necessary. Allow them to take control and don’t miss a beat. Even if your model is a 3 year old. ENGAGE with them. Your lens is your ink and paper. You are the author of the story.
5. When you finally finish shooting and sit down to post-process, take your time to go through your images. Choose the ones that speak to you. I edit according to the specific mood I want to portray. For example, if i’m shooting a picture of a child, I typically base my editing off of the child’s engagement with the camera. If he/she was smiling the entire time, then I go for a more colorful, bright processing.
Tips by Yenny Fernandez
In the end, it comes down to your vision. Be loud, liberate yourself from standards. Push yourself to be better and challenge yourself to create bigger things, EVERY time. Take inspiration from other artists. Grab ideas and transform them. It’s an amazing world that we can create through our lens. Never forget what you are capable of doing.
Thank you all for allowing me to share my advice with you and I truly hope it benefits each and every one of you! *Dream away*